Re: Favorite technique(s) for developing a melody?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard Version 2.0 Test ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Panda on May 08, 2001 at 12:14:56:

In Reply to: Re: Favorite technique(s) for developing a melody? posted by Nathan on February 14, 2000 at 18:18:18:

: : An excellent suggestion. Thanks...

: : : I like to use the pentatonic scale for whatever key/chord
: : : (and switch for temporary key switches) the tune is in.
: : : Then I use my ear to adjust/alter the notes that seem
: : : best-suited for landing/emphasis. All the rest of
: : : the notes comprise the possible routes to get to the
: : : landing notes. And rhythmically I'll always start
: : : simply. As I gain confidence, I'll just do variations
: : : on the theme that may be a bit more complex.

: : : : Keeping it simple is always a better idea than
: : : : not! If you are a guitarist, try composing
: : : : melodies on the piano, and if you're a pianist,
: : : : vice-versa...

: : : : : : What's your favorite technique(s)
: : : : : : for developing a melody?

: : : : : I use one string, usually High E. Keeps it simple.

: If you have come up with an interesting chord progression ( or even an uninteresting one!)try just playng through it with a tape recorder going and humming whatever melodies come to mind. When you find something good stop the tape, learn the melody and re-record it cleanly. This should give you a basic platform to allow other ideas to form. Keep repeating the process and refining. Given enough time you will have hours of original ideas on tape ripe for the pluckin'.Try to finish your ideas before starting others to avoid a lifetime of unfinished projects. Tapes of this origin have a tendency to multiply rapidly and sorting through them later can become a daunting task.
: Good Luck

My personal process is quite the opposite as the usual one. I work out, also using my sequencer with the chord changes, a very complex line, full of passing notes and chromaticisms, however, avioding the dissonant tensions (e.g. in a I major chord the 4th). Once I've got the complex line (although it has to sound good), I make it quite simple and try to aviod the chromatics on the written melody. That's it, when I play it with a band, their malody sounds pretty plain, but mine is quite rich and tasty...

good luck

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard Version 2.0 Test ] [ FAQ ]